Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Produce...fresh produce!

I (along with at least 4,000 other Lancaster County neighbors and tourists) ventured out on this gorgeous 70 degree morning to meander the aisles of abundance at Roots, one of our local Farmer's Markets.   Roots has been a single-family owned market since 1925 and as they claim, there truly is something there for everyone. 

There are 5 connecting buildings which house a host of produce stands, baked goods, homemade jams and jellies, coffees & teas, plants, flowers, leather goods, clothing, furniture, tools and much, much more. 

Hodecker's houses the county's best celery hearts; Donegals always has the freshest spinach and the Donegal ladies are always so warm and welcoming as they bag my items and, of course, I cannot go without a stop to see Miriam, a wonderful Amish baker who creates the most luscious lemon poppy-seed bread imaginable.  (And yes, I've tried to replicate it several times and it's never quite up to par with Miriams.) 

Incredibly low prices at a variety of fresh produce stands is the big draw for me.  Some of the attached pictures share the great bargains, while others simply reflect the beauty of nature's abundance just waiting to be sifted through, chosen and taken home. 

Tuesdays are the only days that Roots is open; year-round.  It's best to get there early if, like me, you don't enjoy a mosh-pit while shopping; however, rumor has it that the farmers don't want to pack up remaining produce and at the end of day, the bargains get even better.  For more info: http://www.rootsmarket.com/


Don't these radishes just scream "Pick me, Pick me!"




3 for $1 - can your store do that?!




Homemade Root Beer is a favorite of the Amish stands


This week's choice: Horseradish pickles!  And this nice lady didn't think
I was strange for taking pictures of her pickles! 
At least she didn't show it.


And for that, she gets a nice plug: Peter Piper's Pickles are outrageous!
Try the garlic or the jalapeno styles as well!




From Donegals of course



And my homage to Miriam's Pies...
She also bakes other forms of perfection besides Lemon PoppySeed Bread


Multiple flavors of whoopie pies


Okay, who can say no to this?
Mocha! Seriously?








And while trying to leave at the same time as the other 4,000 attendees,
I noticed this beautiful cornfield.


Then the blasting horn behind me woke me out of my revery
and it was back to this reality.
Moral: GO EARLY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment